Aussie ShareTrading Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2007

My Portfolio

This post will explain what my trading principles/ethics are, and my selected portfolio as well.

How I trade:

My long term (3+ years) portfolio is bullish on mining stocks. In the medium term (weeks/months) I trade in other sectors looking for a decent move/decent result or to scour a great dividend. I play "short-term" (usually 1-3 days) or daytrade only on Friday's because that's my day off! On Friday's i'm happy to go long and/or short on shares that I like for a daytrade.

I believe in strong fundamentals for a company, it MUST have increasing profits, p/e ratio and such.. which is what makes the share price grow in a long-term sense. Most of my portfolio comprises of companies with solid fundamentals/management/ethics, with a word from friends who are professional analysts.

Technical Analysis: I only use charts to plot my buying points for long/medium term trades, indicators just look like a bunch of funny lines to me! I really only use Support/Resistance & Volume as indicators for my short-term trades, I really haven't found the other indicators handy for the 2 or so years i've traded so stuff them lol.

Listen! Bloomberg is my favorite TV channel, I could watch it all day and marry it. When I used to be a fulltime daytrader I just loved how quickly they would deliver breaking news which helped me execute some of my best trades!

Its always good to read/watch what other analysts are saying and then perhaps seeing if their views have a good point/basis for what they are.

Anyway without further Adu, my portfolio and why I trade in them:

BHP Billiton, world's largest miner (BHP) - BHP is a sound long-term trade, i'm convinced with its long mine life, good management, billion dollar projects and that the commodity boom is still around.

I keep accumulating BHP, and boy, has it been worth it! When it moves, it really moves! Would be nice if they pimped up the dividend though..

Zinifex, world's 2nd biggest Zinc miner (ZFX) - A rampaging cash-flow, 70c dividend, sound management and acquisitions is why I trade Zinifex. It's mainly a medium term play for me.

Cochlear, word leader in ear implants (COH) - I'm pretty proud of the work Cochlear do. One of my mates had an implant and I decided to look into it!

But other than that it also has a positive cash-flow! The Pharmaceutical stocks move very, very impressively when they are bullish hence my interest in this sector.

Perpetual, diversified finance (PPT) - Perpetual is an amazing medium term stock for those who love dividends. I continue to be blown away by its massive dividends, $2.67 per share is just out of this world. I play medium-term on Perpetual only to go after that dividend (ofcourse the stock must be in a bullish phase as well).

Woolworths, Australia's biggest food retailer (WOW) - I love Woolworths, I absolutely love the store! You can really see this company improve each time you go shopping - new pastries, more fruits, more variety, and most of all its service is kickass fast!

Other than that the stock is a very fast mover and has dominance over the Australian market at the moment, but, I would watch withdraw from playing in Woolworths should Coles be taken over by the likes of Tesco/Wal-Mart, because then it would be in for some very rough competition and might not be able to generate the good profits it has.

Origin Energy, Oil/Gas Producer (ORG) - Seems to be the only stable oil play in the Australian market. This is my short-term stock and I love daytrading in it. (Ofcourse it has good fundamentals/cash-flow too!)

Seek Online, Internet Ad's/Job Search (SEK) - Seek is a good company. Almost everyone i've ever spoken to looks for a job on seek; hell, seek is even in the papers so i'm pretty sure Seek & it's advertisers are happily married! Low price, increasing cash-flows, good share price moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home